Donation Drive Changes
We are extremely grateful for the amazing generosity of Howard County residents, groups, schools, businesses, and faith congregations to help us support community families and individuals in need of personal goods. Due to ongoing safety concerns related to the coronavirus COVID-19 we are changing how we collect and distribute these donations for the foreseeable future.
Over the next several months we will continue to provide winter accessories and December holiday gifts for those experiencing financial difficulties. However, out of an abundance of caution we are initiating changes to manage social distancing practices and limit personal contact with donated items. In addition, due to measures to accommodate quarantine practices for shelter residents we no longer have storage space for goods we have accepted before.
As a result, we will schedule times for our clients in need to pick up gift cards and other items as we have been doing since the outbreak began. Along with these practices we will not host a large December event for people to attend to choose holiday gifts as in years past.
In light of these changes we primarily recommend donations of gift cards and other recommended items for the seasonal drives listed below:
Winter Accessories Drives
- We have an overabundance of socks and instead suggest the following:
- New gloves for children and adults (particularly men’s in larger sizes) packed in individual clear plastic bags
- New packaged underwear for children and adults of all ages and sizes packed in individual clear plastic bags (larger sizes for adults in particular, e.g., XL, 2XL)
- Gift cards in amounts of $10 & $25: Walmart, Target
Holiday Giving Days – December 2020
- We traditionally provide gifts for about 80 families each year including more than 100 children. Gift cards in $10, $20, $25 or $50 amounts from Walmart, Target and other local retailers would allow individuals to select toys, clothing and accessories for their families.
- More details, such as dates for dropping off gift cards and when we’ll be distributing them, will be available in November. Feel free to contact us then for updated information.
Thank you for considering these alternative gifts to help us safeguard the health and well-being of our most vulnerable community members in these uncertain times. We want you to know that we record incoming and outgoing gift cards for accountability and auditing purposes. If you have any questions about donation drives please contact Monteith Mitchell, Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, (410) 531-6006.
Grassroots is always wishing for these things.
Items can be dropped off any time at our main location at 6700 Freetown Road in Columbia. Please be sure to fill out a donation slip so that we may properly acknowledge your donation. For any other types of items please contact the shelter office at 410-531-6006 or e-mail to email@example.com.
What we need:
SORRY BUT WE CANNOT ACCEPT DONATIONS OF STUFFED ANIMALS, PUZZLES, BOOKS, CLOTHING, OR HOTEL SIZE TOILETRIES.
• Diapers (especially large sizes 5 and 6)
• Pull Ups
• Baby Wipes
• Laundry Detergent pods
• Pillows (new)
• Twin Size Sheets
• Bath Towels
• Wash Cloths
• Laundry Bags
• Cleaning Supplies
• Paper Products
• Cereal, cold or serving size hot
• Coffee or tea, creamer and sugar (Splenda)
• Juice boxes
• Snack items (crackers, chips)
• Peanut butter & jelly
• Macaroni and Cheese
• Mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard packets
• Salad Dressings
• Canned fruit
• Drink mixes
• Canned soups
• Canned stew, chili, and other meals ready to eat
• Body Wash for men and women
• Body lotion and hand cream
• Dental floss
• Razors for men and women
• Shaving Cream for men and women
• Hair care products for AA hair
• Food Stores (Giant, Walmart, etc.)
• Costco, BJ’s
• Sunoco or any other Gas Station
• Over the Counter Cold & Flu Medication for children and adults