- Safe Space Training
December 9, 2020 - December 10, 2020
Safe Space is a suicide prevention and cultural competence training designed by a team at Grassroots Crisis Intervention Center.
Safe Space provides a comprehensive training program for attendees on how to provide a safe, supportive environment, become more culturally competent, and feel more confident dealing with issues specific to LGBTQ+ population. It also gives education and support for non-LGBTQ+ individuals in addressing and navigating issues around LGBTQ (ex. Coaching parents around supporting a child coming out, dealing with youth bullying related to LGBTQ+, coordination with local LGBTQ+ school clubs to provide additional support, etc.) Since the program began in 2017, over 200 people have been Safe Space trained.
Through completion the Safe Space program, attendees will have the opportunity to:
- Increase their knowledge and skills to engage with LGBTQ individuals and families towards better outcomes
- Increase cultural humility when talking to and about LGBTQ+ individuals
- Become confident in their ability to connect LGBTQ individuals and families to appropriate services and resources
- Recognize risk factors for suicide, learn how to employ active listening skills with a person having suicidal thoughts, and connect the person-at-risk with appropriate resources for their ongoing safety
- Understand importance of LGBTQ inclusivity in language within conversations, policies, procedures, and paperwork
Safe Space was designed as an 8-hour certification training. Due to COVID, the content has been adapted to a 4.5-hour virtual training. The spirit of Safe Space has been preserved in the virtual training, while making it more accessible to the scheduling needs of a broader audience.
This training will be offered on Zoom. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.