- October 24, 2018
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Note: that this session has filled and we are no longer taking registrations.
The Safe Space training has been designed by Grassroots as a suicide prevention and intervention model that focuses on the LGBTQ+ population and their increased risk for suicide. It is free for Howard County residents and those who work in the county. CEUs are available.
Through a dynamic combination of teaching, multimedia, activities, and open discussion, the training delves into the following topics:
- Challenges specific to LGBTQ+ people based on stigma, life experiences, and societal pressures
- Suicide risk in the LBGTQ+ population
- Talking to a person-at-risk about suicide
- Support these individuals and their loved ones in accessing care and treatment
- Differences in acceptance and tolerance
- History and evolution of language in the LGBTQ+ community
- Sexuality and gender specific issues, and their impacts on mental health
- Resources for those seeking to provide support to LBGTQ+ people
- How to create Safe Space within organizations and communities
The training program combines cultural competence with prevention and intervention strategies to reduce stigma, reduce suicidality, and ultimately save lives.
October 24, 2018, 8:00am-4:00pm
(light breakfast & coffee will be available at 8:00am, lunch provided)
McGill Training Center Classroom 2
8452 Zimborski Avenue
Fort Meade, MD 20755
Register at Eventbrite via: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/safe-space-training-tickets-49697964951
For more info, contact Maggie at firstname.lastname@example.org